emilyisasecret facebookemilyisasecret twitteremilyisasecret youtubeemilyisasecret flickremilyisasecret tumblremilyisasecret formspring

Sunday, January 30, 2011

You've got a friend in me!





Welcome to another edition of Sundays special. I've always had an immense respect for artists. My best friend is an amazing one, but I show case her all the time with all the new looks she's done with my blog and website. (Thanks Mazproject!)

I originally came across Amanada by browsing through FlickR and coming across her page. I fell in love with it! Her drawings were so unlike any I had ever seen!






































So I emailed her and asked if she would mind if I featured her in my blog for sunday! here is what she has to say!

Tell us your name and a little bit about yourself. 

My name is Amanda, and I draw stuff. Mostly ladies in their underwear, but sometimes other stuff too.


How long have you been drawing/illustrating?

I've been drawing since I was a kid, but I've only been illustrating professionally for about 3 years. It's still not my full-time job (I'm a graphic designer by day), but hopefully one day it will be!

What made you decide to start drawing woman so voluptuous? 

Looking in the mirror! I've never been a skinny girl, so it just made sense to draw plumper, more rounded forms - it's what I know, and what I like to look at. I find myself much more drawn to the women depicted by Rubens than to the boyishly-figured models of today. I'm also a big fan of the old pin-up girl art, which, while not always voluptuous per se, did tend to feature women with more traditionally feminine shapes and curves - you're hard pressed to find sharp angles on one of Gil Elvgren's girls. Part of their appeal was that softness.



What are some of your inspirations? 

Pin-ups are big, as I mentioned above. I just love the whole aesthetic. The same goes for burlesque performers - we have a wonderful troupe in Philly that always makes me go racing home to draw girls in rumba shorts and pasties. It's partly the costumes, but mostly the confidence. A lot of the time a drawing will start with a color combination - I have stacks of those hardware store paint sample cards lying around, if I'm feeling stuck I'll sometimes just play around with them until something catches my eye. Things like ballet, the circus, history (especially with a steampunk slant), and of course books, music, and movies (pop culture in general - I'm a huge tv nerd) really catch my imagination and inspire a lot of my ideas. In terms of artists, Mucha is huge (I love art nouveau), Degas, N.C. Wyeth, Vargas, Gil Elvgren, Fernando Botero... the list is really endless. You take something away from everything you see. Plus there are contemporary illustrators like Vera Brosgol and Meg Hunt, who I'd like to be even half as cool as when I grow up.

Are there any other things you are amazing at doing? 

I'm an excellent vegan baker! And I can whistle exactly like a seagull.


What are your 3 favorite movies of all time? 

Oh dear... I'm terrible at picking favorites. I'd say Amelie (hands down one of the most gorgeous movies ever made), Serenity, and... Bring It On. I can't help it, I have an insatiable appetite for movies about cheerleading. I'd put animated movies in a separate category altogether; in that case, I'd say The Little Mermaid, Mulan, and Kiki's Delivery Service, with The Secret of Kells getting an honorable mention for being insanely gorgeous.

Anything else you would like us to know?

Captain Crunch's full name is Horatio Magellan Crunch.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/amandac/
http://www.amandachronister.com/
http://willdrawforcookies.blogspot.com/

I originally was only going to showcase Amanda and her work because I couldn't find A SINGLE person's work I liked (I am picky about my art) and just when I was about to give up my buddy Angel posted this REALLY cool pool party invite.

After finding out who drew Angel for his party, I knew who else would have to shine in my blog. I went through his work and I felt like I was getting to see a behind the scenes at disney or pixtar. 


Tell us your name and a little bit about yourself.
My name is Arnaldo Gonzalez also know as AndyToonz. I was born in Puerto Rico in 1981. I’m currently living in Miami, Fl. I went to school at Miami International University of Art & Design where I graduated with a Bachelor’s Degree of Fine Arts in Computer Animation. I focus on the character designing part of the animation industry. I’ve done characters for a lot of people in the Reggaeton music industry, which include (Musicologo & Menes, Jamsha, etc.) 
How long have you been drawing/illustrating?
I’ve been drawing since I was a little kid… I remember when I was a kid I did a drawing and I showed it to my aunt but she didn’t like it… I was kind of sad, but I decided to make my drawings better and I learned to never give up. 
What do you enjoy drawing more, people or animals? Why? 
I enjoy drawing animals more than people….  I think people already know how people should look like…. With animals you can do what ever you want to do. The possibilities are endless. 

What are some of your inspirations? 
My son really inspires me. I often think of things that I would like him to see or watch on T.V. or any other medium.  
Are there any other things you are amazing at doing? 
I don’t know if it’s amazing but, I like to help people when they are in need. 

What are your 3 favorite movies of all time?
Fantasia
The Lion King
Toy Story 1,2,3





Andy with Jeffery  Katzenberg, the CEO of dreamworks! 




Anything else you would like us to know?  
I’m a huge Reggaeton fan.
I’m working on my own apparel line called AndyToonz Authentic… which I already release this month at… http//:andytoonz.storenvy.com 
Website:  HYPERLINK "http://www.andytoonz.com" www.andytoonz.com

So today is dedicated to you guys! You amazing artists you! 

Contact Amanda or Andy for cute cards and illustrations! 


No comments:

Post a Comment